Tuesday 20 April 2010

Is proportional representation the cure for negative campaigning?

Is proportional representation the cure for negative campaigning? I'm looking at all the campaign nonsense I've received, and much of the negativity surrounds tactical voting  - which wouldn't be such an issue if we had a PR system. Lib Dem candidate Lynne Featherstone is saying the Tories can't win in Hornsey & Wood Green, while Tory candidate Richard Merrin tweets from a nearby council ward that the "vote yellow get Brown" message is sinking in.

I was quite shocked recently when I checked out voterpower.org.uk, which does some maths to show you what your vote is (or isn't) worth based on how marginal your home constituency is. Not that I didn't know how the system works, but it hadn't occurred to me before just how massively undemocratic it is.

Would PR make our politicians grow up and have sensible conversations with us and with each other?

No comments:

Post a Comment